Choosing a school is a huge decision. As parents, we wonder: Will my child be happy here? Will they feel welcomed and supported? Does the school offer plenty of opportunities to bring out the best in them? Is this really the right fit for them?
Whatever is weighing on your mind – the best way of making your final choice is by visiting your shortlisted schools in person. Luckily, it’s the time of year when many international schools are opening their doors. Visiting schools in person has plenty of benefits: the chance to explore a school’s campus, see teaching and learning in action, meet current teachers and families, and get a real feel for the school’s culture.
Here are our top four tips for making the most of your school visit:
#1 Research before you go
Aim to visit a school already having gleaned everything you can from their website & social media channels: their curriculum, facilities, exam results, and so on. Doing this research means that when you visit the school, you can focus on what matters most: the teaching and learning.
#2 Focus on the Learning
Most school visits give you the chance to tour of the school’s campus and facilities. It’s easy to be wowed by fancy facilities – but what really is going to have the biggest impact on your child’s academic progress and wellbeing? Their teachers.
When you have the opportunity to see some teaching and learning ‘in action’, try not to rush past. Even without stepping directly inside a classroom, you should be able to do the following:
- Look out for levels of student engagement. Do the children seem on task, busy and interested in their learning? They should!
- Are all children doing the same thing, or can you see evidence of differentiation (different tasks for different abilities)? Great teachers will ensure every child is supported and challenged, wherever they are at in their learning.
- Do the children look happy? No child can learn if they feel nervous, scared or worried. Happy children are great learners!
- Do the children seem comfortable asking for help from the teacher? Can you see evidence of warm, positive teacher-student relationships? Positive relationships are crucial for children to learn.
#3 Ask about the Teachers.
You want to be confident that the teacher who will be working with your child every day is passionate, qualified, experienced and able to support your child in every step of their learning journey. During your school visit, ask questions like this to the teachers and senior leaders that you meet.
- What qualifications do their teachers have? And if they join the school unqualified, is the school investing in training/supporting them to become qualified? They should.
- How do they ensure the ongoing professional development of teachers? The best schools worldwide offer weekly professional development and training for their teaching teams.
#4: Talk to Everyone
If you pop along to a school on an Open Day, you should have the chance to meet current members of the school community – students, parents and teachers. Speaking to them will help you learn about what the school is ‘really’ like on a day-to-day basis, so ask them as much as you can! In fact, we recommend going with a list of questions about things that really matter to you – What clubs and sports are on offer? As a parent, what activities can you get involved in here? How do the teachers assess and communicate information about student progress and achievements?
Keeping these four tips in mind should help make your Open Day visit as valuable as possible for you and your family! See you at our Open Days Thursday 19th (Primary & Secondary) and Tuesday 26th of September(EYC).
Our students are our best ambassadors. That’s why, at a GIS Open Day, all Primary and Secondary school tours are led by students themselves. Enjoy their honest, first-hand views and experiences of life at GIS, and grab the chance to mix and mingle with current GIS parents and teachers to learn even more. Come and find out for yourself how GIS’ academic heritage and innovative, unique learning culture combine to create one of the world’s top British international schools.
Upcoming GIS Open Days
· Thursday, 19th of September 2019 for Primary & Secondary (Y1 to Y13) . For more details & registrations click here.
· Thursday, 26th of September 2019 for Early Years at EYC (Nursery & Reception). For more details & registrations click here.
Application fee waived for Open Day Attendance!
Can’t make it to our Open Days? Our doors are open (almost) every day. Book your personal tour online at gardenschool.edu.my or call our lovely admissions team at +(603) 6209 6888