EYC Jungle School, GIS pioneer “Outside the Classroom Learning Program”
At EYC we offer many learning activities both inside and outside the classroom. For the past 2 years our Early Years Department has been promoting our children’s wellbeing, confidence and resilience through our Jungle School program. GIS Jungle School is a program based on the ‘Forest Schools’ approach in Europe but using our KL locality to inspire our children to become ‘ambassadors for nature’.
Jungle School is an inspirational process, that offers ALL learners regular opportunities to achieve and develop confidence and self-esteem through hands-on learning experiences in a natural environment.The “Jungle School” concept is really at the centre of the Outside of the classroom learning.
- Jungle School is a long-term process of regular sessions, rather than a one-off or infrequent visits; the cycle of planning, observation, adaptation and review links each session.
- Jungle School takes place in a natural environment to support the development of a relationship between the learner and the natural world.
- Jungle School uses a range of learner-centred processes to create a community for being, development and learning.
- Jungle School aims to promote the holistic development of all those involved, fostering resilient, confident, independent and creative learners.
- Jungle School offers learners the opportunity to take supported risks appropriate to the environment and to themselves.
- What is remarkable about this program, is that the children very much take the lead in their own learning. We know that children learn best when they are interested in something and are actively involved with hands on activities. Many new skills are taught through Jungle School including sawing and den building. Other activities which children typically undertake are things such as weaving, boat building, fairy house making, tree climbing, dam building, mini -beast hunting, natural art designing, finding out the properties of running water, wet mud as opposed to dry mud…….in fact the list is endless……….the children take their learning in their own direction supported by skillful questioning by the adults on the trips
Well done to our EYC team to offer such amazing experience to our children.
At GIS, we bring out the best in everyone, both inside and outside of the classroom through our unique learning culture where we pursue our passions and strive for excellence; all in the spirit of respect, integrity and well being. Speak with us today to start your learning journey with GIS.