Garden International School Range of Scholarships
Garden International School is proud to offer a range of scholarships to deserving students who can develop their talent and effectively contribute at a high level as part of the school community.
The aims of the programme are to encourage and motivate students to strive for excellence, and to ensure students deserving of an outstanding education are not constrained by financial considerations.
Garden International School is proud to offer a range of scholarships to deserving students who can develop their talent and effectively contribute at a high level as part of the school community. The aims of the programme are to ensure students deserving of an outstanding education are not constrained by financial considerations and to encourage and motivate them to strive for excellence.
Types of Scholarship
A maximum of 6 scholarships will be awarded to students who can demonstrate significant excellence in in the areas outlined below. The Scholarship awards will represent a 100% Waiver on the Application and Registration Fees and a minimum of 50% reduction in Tuition and Technology Fees.
Each student is eligible to receive no more than one type of scholarship per academic year. It is anticipated that the scholarship will be renewed each year until the student graduates from Year 13, subject to excellent academic performance and continued contribution to the Sports and/or Arts at an extremely high level.
The scholarship committee will interview the candidates and meet to determine the final scholarship awards.
These Scholarships are designed for Malaysian (Malaysian passport holders) students currently attending a Government-funded local school who are applying for a place in Year 10 (14-15 years of age) in August 2017. Applicants should have exemplary academic achievement to date, a commitment to helping others, highly developed collaborative skills and a capacity for abstract levels of thinking and reasoning. Alongside this, applicants should apply for one of the two specific categories:
Arts Scholarship (Music, drama or visual arts)
- Evidence of outstanding technical proficiency in their chosen subject.
- Commitment to develop their ability and passion for one of the creative arts subjects through creation, analysis, performance and/or display and reflection.
- Pursuit of creative arts endeavours within and beyond the classroom.
- Display of an overall aptitude, willingness and eagerness to share and contribute to the creative arts culture of the school.
- Intention and commitment to select at least two arts subjects (Music, Drama, Art) for IGCSE and at least one at A-Level.
- For Music applicants – the ability to play at least one instrument (preferably two) to a minimum Grade 5 standard (this can be demonstrated in an audition if necessary) and a commitment to 3 Music extracurricular activities (eg. School Orchestra)
- Outstanding personal attitude, sportsmanship, enthusiasm and teamwork skills.
- Achievement at a very high level in their chosen sport.
- General high achievement and effort in physical education and athletic programmes, intention to study IGCSE PE.
- Commitment to leading and developing the sports culture at GIS through representative sport.
Applicants are required to submit the following information:
- Application form – Please click here and fill this application form completely.
- Personal statement
A full written personal statement detailing your strengths and abilities, including evidence that you meet the selection criteria. Please provide full details of all schools attended, academic achievements and co-curriculum (after school) activities, achievements, within and beyond school.
School certificates – UPSR Certificate and School Reports from the last two years.
Other certificates – Any other awards and certificates of academic and co-curricular achievements.
- Teacher’s Recommendation
Reference letter from the Class Teacher/Principal at the current school highlighting academic and co-curricular achievements in school.
- Supporting documentation
A copy of both parents’ 2015 BE form and 2016 BE form (EA form if BE is not yet available) to indicate family household income (without this, your application will not be considered).
- Application Submission
Send your completed application form, essay and supporting documents via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
OR mail it to :
THE ADMISSIONS OFFICE
GARDEN INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL
JALAN KIARA 3, OFF JALAN BUKIT KIARA
50480 KUALA LUMPUR
- Applications will be accepted until 31th March 2017
- Shortlisted candidates will take a test at Garden International School in April 2017
- Subsequently, selected candidates will be invited to an Interview in April/May 2017
- The Final Decision will be announced via letters
Application for scholarship awards must be made by the student concerned and should consist of a letter of application. These should be addressed to Dr. Mason, Head of Secondary. The letter should describe why the student wishes to join the Sixth Form at GIS and how they intend to contribute to the wider life of the school. The granting of scholarship awards is the responsibility of the scholarship committee. The committee’s decision will be final.
The supporting statement should contain, where appropriate, references to the following:
- Academic achievement – predicted grades on the basis of performance in the mock exams.
- Students leadership positions: prefects, house captains, students council, prom committee, Graduation Ball committee, Mufti Day organizing committee, etc.
- Benefits from school trips and activities.
- Participation in the International Award, Interact, Model United Nations, etc.
- Sports – leadership, contributions and achievements.
- Musical achievements and contributions
- Contributions or achievements outside school and involvement in community service.
Students do not need to get references from their existing teachers – we ask all staff for the views on the relative merits of each applicant as part of the selection process.
Please note that those scholarships are for existing GIS students only.
At GIS, we bring out the best in everyone, both inside and outside of the classroom through our unique learning culture where we pursue our passions and strive for excellence; all in the spirit of respect, integrity and well being. Speak with us today to start your learning journey with GIS.
Contact us today.
|TEL||:||+603 6209 6888|
|FAX||:||+603 6201 2468|